👉OpenShift is a cutting-edge, open-source container application platform developed by Red Hat. It is designed to streamline the deployment, management, and scaling of containerized applications. Building on top of Kubernetes, OpenShift provides a robust set of tools and features that simplify the complexities of container orchestration and enable organizations to embrace cloud-native technologies with ease.
- Key features:
- Container Orchestration with Kubernetes: OpenShift leverages Kubernetes for container orchestration, allowing automated deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications. Kubernetes abstracts the underlying infrastructure, providing a consistent and portable environment for applications.
- Service Mesh: OpenShift Service Mesh (based on Istio) enhances microservices communication, security, and observability. It provides features like traffic management, load balancing, and access control for microservices.
- Developer Productivity: OpenShift focuses on enhancing developer productivity by offering an intuitive web console and a command-line interface (CLI). Developers can easily create, modify, and deploy applications using familiar tools and workflows.
- Built-in Security: OpenShift prioritizes security by enforcing role-based access control (RBAC) and integrating with security tools like Keycloak for identity management. It also supports compliance with industry regulations.
Industry Use case:-
Cisco uses OpenShift
To keep up with customer demand, Cisco, a leading provider of network solutions, needs to rapidly implement new IT products and solutions. The challenge is keeping your IT team engaged and productive to drive innovation. With help from Red Hat, Cisco developed its Lightweight Application Environment (LAE), which runs on the Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform, a Platform as a service (PaaS) technology formerly known as Red Hat’s OpenShift Enterprise.
- Challenge faced by Cisco: Cisco’s ability to quickly offer innovative IT products and solutions to clients is critical to its success. Delays can cost a firm money. Cisco needed to keep its 1,000+ developers actively engaged in creating and implementing apps to encourage speed to market and boost satisfaction while avoiding high employee turnover, low productivity, and delayed reaction times.
- How did they tackle this: Cisco entrusted Red Hat with the design and development of its LAE, a PaaS deployment that supports hundreds of apps that power a wide range of business operations. Developers can use the IT resources they need to develop apps through a self-service platform, which eliminates manual provisioning.
- Result: Project provisioning used to take up to three months for Cisco developers. Now, the developers simply press a button, and the service is supplied in a matter of… minutes. Customers will benefit from the speedier delivery of innovative products and services as a result of increased productivity. The approach relieves pressure on limited IT resources and allows developers to devote more time to creative projects
Benefits of using OpenShift:
Cost Savings: By leveraging containerization, OpenShift optimizes resource utilization, leading to cost savings in infrastructure and cloud usage. The platform’s scalability also allows companies to pay for resources based on actual demand, avoiding unnecessary expenditures.
Operational Efficiency: OpenShift simplifies application lifecycle management, making it easier for operations teams to deploy, update, and monitor applications. The platform’s automation capabilities reduce manual intervention, leading to improved efficiency and reduced operational overhead.
Reduced Downtime: OpenShift’s self-healing capabilities and rolling updates ensure that applications remain available during updates or failures. This reduces downtime and enhances overall application reliability.
Faster Application Development and Deployment: OpenShift streamlines the development process by providing developers with easy-to-use tools and a self-service environment. Developers can quickly build, test, and deploy applications, reducing time-to-market and increasing overall agility.
👉OpenShift is a versatile and comprehensive container application platform that empowers organizations to embrace cloud-native technologies and modernize their application development and deployment processes. By abstracting away the complexities of container orchestration, OpenShift enables developers to focus on building innovative applications while ensuring scalability, security, and manageability across hybrid cloud environments. With its developer-centric tools and enterprise-grade features, OpenShift continues to be a leading choice for businesses seeking to accelerate their digital transformation journey.